TeaPartyPrincess

Jon Steele
Dead Gone
Luca Veste

Ink (Harlequin Teen)

Ink - Amanda Sun DNF at 37%.

I'm sorry, this just wasn't my cup of tea. But look, still two stars.

This isn't so much a review, just me explaining why I couldn't read on. Who knows, it might help you decide to actually read this.

The cover is gorgeous and despite knowing better, I'm always drawn to pretty covers. LOOK AT THE PRETTY! The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous too, I particularly liked the wagtail. I would have liked to have seen those evil snails though.

From the start I didn't like the main character Katie. There was just something about her that meant we didn't click. And it's always difficult to read a book where you can't connect. Perhaps that's why I couldn't read this book to the end. It just got too much. She over-reacted to pretty much everything and my stalker-alert was on high.

I didn't like that there was lots of random Japanese that I didn't understand dropped in. Almost everything was written in English and then the speech was written in English, but Japanese words would be dropped in and I didn't understand what they meant. There was little (and often no) translation. It was so confusing and alienated me as a reader.

I didn't like the oh-so-typical instalove. Amanda Sun tried to hide it and make it subtle but it didn't work. Katie was a crazy obsessed stalker. And she won't leave Tomo alone. Even when he says GO AWAY AND LEAVE ME ALONE YOU CREEP OR I'LL HURT YOU she's still there, following him.

I did like that it was different. I don't think I've read a book with this unique idea behind it. It's such a pity that I didn't enjoy it as it was written, because I really thought, especially after reading the blurb, that I would. It had all the right ingredients on paper, but the cake just didn't rise. Maybe it was just me.

Thanks to Harlequin via NetGalley for providing a copy of this for review. I'm just sorry I didn't like it.