TeaPartyPrincess

The Watchers
Jon Steele
Dead Gone
Luca Veste

Beasthood (The Hidden Blood Series, #1)

Beasthood (The Hidden Blood Series, #1) - A.Z. Green It says something that the un-edited version of this gets a solid four stars, don't you think? So look out for my review of the edited version in a few months.

This has been sat on my kindle, staring at me, for a few months. I was a little wary - werewolves and the such are usually not my cup of tea unless they are of the Parasol Protectorate ilk - so I kept putting it off. But oh my, AZ Green does them so well. If they're even werewolves. I'm sure they're not, but they are a were-something. This story is unique and engaging.

Right from the start, this engaged me. There was a squiffy scene when Jaz is at her aunt's therapy session that threw me a bit as perspectives changed, but a slower re-read of the page clarified it for me.

I guess what I liked most about this was the writing style. I was reminded of my own and it made this easy to read, comfortable to read. I loved the descriptions, the turns of phrase. I loved the way Jaz's thoughts were presented. She felt like a normal girl.

It was a shiny, black Mercedes but that was as far as her knowledge about cars could gather.

I could identify with her most of the time, even though she was in the middle of this fantastical situation, fighting an inner battle with herself and feeling at war with those around her.

She was stunned. After the way she'd viewed this place. Her prison, her hell. It was strange to see something so innocent as children playing.

The characters are complex - just when you think you have one figured out then BAM! You're smacked in the face with a frying pan of unexpected complexity. It keeps you on your toes and suspicious of every character and their motives, making almost every twist and turn a surprise.

The pace is excellent too. It undulates naturally as the story progresses and sometimes is so fast, sop exhilarating, that you can't put Beasthood down. But never, not once, is it overwhelming. It's just right.

I will admit there are a few errors in this story - the odd misspelled word or misplaced bit of punctuation. But it didn't detract much from the story and this is in the process of a thorough edit. I will be re-reading this once the edit is finished as it's that good it deserves a re-read.

I can't wait to re-read this and read the next one.