TeaPartyPrincess

Jon Steele
Dead Gone
Luca Veste

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake - Anna Quindlen This book was well out of my comfort zone.

I always feel awkward when it comes to reviewing memoirs, because who am I to judge someone's past when they've offered it up so? It's even more difficult with this one because I feel I'm too young to properly understand it, although she does go back to her earlier days. There are some beautiful moments, and things that I do fully understand, but I feel like it's directed at a certain, slightly older, audience and so alienates younger readers.

Written in a very adult style, if perhaps a little old-fashioned, this memoir nevertheless has a strong message to portray. I'm too young to fully appreciate this book, but I know it's something that my mother would enjoy reading.

This book is filled with life-lessons. It delivers important messages about love and life, and mocks marriage a little - not in any serious way, rather in a fond way.

I particularly liked the message about friends - that they are the go-to people, the coping mechanism for us all. She pointed out some things that should have been obvious, but that we all probably take for granted.

To be a good friend and to appreciate the value of friendship requires honesty and concentration.

Are you a good friend? I like to think that I am.